We receive many phone calls from people who have similar questions. So we decided to list a few here for all to read. Although we have tried to list them below, please do not hesitate to contact us if you want more information.

What is Cerebral Palsy?

Cerebral palsy is a condition that affects movement, posture and coordination. These problems may be seen at or around the time of birth. If a child has cerebral palsy it means that part of their brain is either not working properly or has not developed normally. It may be the result of a problem occurring during the first weeks of the baby’s development in the womb (such as an infection) or in a number of cases can be the result of a difficult or premature birth. Sometimes there simply is no obvious cause.

Do we look after children only?

No. We look after people of all ages.  Many people who came here were children and have lived here all their lives.

Do we have a waiting list?

Yes we do.

Can we issue receipts in terms of Section 18A of the Income Tax Act?

Yes- we can issue receipts in terms of Section 18A of the Income Tax Act. We applied to SARS and received a PBO number (130 001 839) in terms of Section 30 of the Income Tax Act.

Can you volunteer?

Yes, you can but we do have some very strict criteria which we look at as the safety of our Residents is our first priority. We also help students who are studying to come and complete there practical side of their studies.

How does the Home fit in with BEE?

We do get queries from some companies who need to score points on their BEE Scorecards and feel that they need to make donations to ” BEE qualifying ‘organisations ” in order to score these points. We then applied for a BEE certificate which is 75% – Black beneficiary Base.

How can you help without making a monetary donation?

  • Clothing – We use what we receive first to clothe our residents who come from poor backgrounds and what we can’t use for them we sell to raise funds for them.
  • Furniture and appliances – we also see what we can use in the Home and then we sell the rest to generate funds.
  • New goods and services – Some people and companies like to donate goods they make or services they provide rather than cash and this is also most welcome. We are able to issue a section 18A for the value of the goods or services donated.

Are there any tax benefits for donors?

Yes, These are available to you because we are a section 18A public benefit organization. This has real benefits for our donors. Every donation you make to the United Cerebral Palsy Association now and in the future means that you will receive in the post an 18A tax receipt together with our acknowledgement of thanks in appreciation of your gift to those whom civil society has placed in our care.

N.B. All tax-related documents are valuable! Please keep all tax receipts in a safe place until required by the S.A. Revenue Services to submit your tax return.